Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Interaction Theory Blog Post #10

What is the next frontier for interaction designers? What needs interaction design but doesn't currently know it?


I am writing this last blog post from New York where I will be spending my summer interning for a designer named Diana Eng. She is a fashion designer who works with technology and this internship seems like an apropos place for exploring my own interest in technology in unexpected and potentially ubiquitous areas. A subject that I've made reference to before is my interest in fashion and technology. On a larger scale, I'm really interested in materiality and technology and using technology to highlight unique everyday interactions. I do not particularly want to be a fashion designer but what is currently happening in the field of textiles, fashion and technology has peaked my interest. The potential for interaction design in materials research and product development for textiles, clothing, accessories, and home goods is beginning to emerge but a large majority of the people working in these fields are unaware of interaction design's existence and its incredible potential.

The first video that I've posted below is of Diana Eng discussing a project that she worked on called Fairytale Fashion which she created in conjunction with Eyebeam Atelier in New York. This project focused on using technology to make seemingly impossible concepts from Fairytales deployable in everyday life.  The second video is of a project that Adidas worked on that uses an interaction between body movement, a pair of sneakers, and a computer to create music. These two projects use whimsy and imagination to inspire delightful designs that push the boundaries of interaction design.

1 comment:

  1. There is some interesting work going on around smart textiles. You should look into it! I would have loved to hear you speculate in this entry about where you see this area potentially going.

    ReplyDelete